The Tank Museum brings history to life, with the world’s best collection of tanks and explosive live displays.
Our exhibitions tell the story of armoured warfare spanning over 100 years of history. Exploring eight powerful exhibitions, you will come face to face with almost 300 armoured vehicles. This unique collection includes the world’s first ever tank, the feared German Tiger and the modern Challenger 2.
“The Tank Story” details tank history from its birth in 1915 to the present in a modern exhibition. “Battlegroup Afghanistan” transports you to today’s front line as combat veterans give their accounts alongside the vehicles used on operations today. In “The Discovery Centre”, as well as in the Vehicle Conservation Centre, you’ll see the breadth of our vehicle collections.
The Tank Museum’s First World War Centenary exhibition, “Tank Men”, tells the stories of the first men who fought bravely in these revolutionary machines. Let the “The Trench Experience” take you back in time to the trenches of the First World War, whilst “Warhorse to Horsepower” examines the role of horses in war.
“Tank Factory” explores the making and makers of tanks and don’t miss our temporary “Fury” exhibition, which uncovers the Museum’s involvement in the making of the film.
There are special events going on throughout the year at The Tank Museum including TANKFEST, Tiger Day and the Vintage Christmas Festival and Craft Fayre, as well as special activity programmes during the School Holidays.
TANKFEST, on the last weekend of June, is the world’s best display of historic moving armour! With stalls, food, entertainment and activities as well, this is an event for the whole family.
Don’t miss the explosive Tanks in Action Displays, every weekday during the School Holidays*. Watch in awe as tanks roll into action in our arena, with thundering engines and life-like explosions!
NEW for 2017 – Opening in spring 2017, don’t miss “The Tiger Collection”, which brings the Tiger tank family together in a world first.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£13.00 per ticket|
|Child 5-16 years||£7.50 per ticket|
|Group - Adults (more than 12 people)||£12.00 per ticket|
|Group - Children (more than 12 people)||£5.50 per ticket|
|Saver (1 Adult & 3 Children)||£29.00 per ticket|
|Saver (2 Adults & 2 Children)||£35.00 per ticket|
Book online for a reduced rate. Group discounts available, please see attraction website for more details. Under 5's admitted free.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good456
- CathEmNorth CarolinaTrip Type:FamilyAstounding visitSunday, 23rd April 2017Plan to spend at least a day at the museum. Operating hours are 10 AM-5 PM. It is an enormous museum with hundreds of tanks and armored vehicles from many opposing nations on display. If you are a... Read full review
- Alison ABirmingham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA Fun Filled DaySunday, 23rd April 2017We visited here last Saturday and we arrived for opening time due to it being a bank holiday as we expected it to busy and we were correct. The museum is full of very interesting exhibits and lots of... Read full review
- Ben SCoventryTrip Type:FamilyThe holy grail of Tank museums.Saturday, 22nd April 2017If you have an interest in military tanks and their role throughout the history of war and a military mad son as I do? Then this is the place to go. The exhibition is well laid out, great value for... Read full review
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dorset Tourism Award 2016 Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dorset Tourism Award 2016 Winner of Winner 2016
- Tank Museum
Map & Directions
The Tank Museum is situated in South Dorset; it is clearly sign-posted from Dorchester, Blandford, Poole, Bere Regis & Wool. It is approximately 1.9 miles (5 minutes) from Wool train station. There is a safe and convenient cycle route from Wool station, which is around 1.5 miles in length.
Public Transport Directions
The Museum is in walking distance (2 miles) of Wool Railway Station, which is on the mainline between London Waterloo and Weymouth. Bus numbers 104 and X55 connect the Railway Station to the Tank Museum (the X55 bus operates daily from 28 May to 4 September 2016). There is also a taxi rank at Wool Station. JOURNEY PLANNING: Alternatively, use the journey planning facility on the Traveline website: www.travelinesw.com
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted
- Celebrity connection
- Film or TV location
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Largest collection of tanks in Europe.
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children - Children's play area
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route - Buses X43, 103 and 104 - Tank Museum bus stop
- On site parking - for cars and coaches. No charge.
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Self-service licensed restaurant; light meals, hot and cold snacks, 150 max.
- Picnic Site
- All major credit cards accepted
- Approx length of visit - 2-4 hours
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 10 people
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates - At a discounted price
- Switch accepted
- Visa accepted
- Air-conditioning throughout
- Cater for groups
- Coach drop-off point
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Event Venue
- Free car parking
- On-site coach parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open all year
- Picnic Area
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families - Lots of family activities
- Marketed towards senior citizens - Of interest to veterans and people who lived through the World Wars
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Live Action Displays during School Holidays.
- Educational Visits Accepted - Pre-booking required
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - 20 people per tour, must be booked in advance, £30 charge applies
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals - Pre-booking is essential
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - 15
- Wi-fi available
- Out of Hours Visits
|2017 Opening (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00*|
* Closed 24, 25 and 26 December
TICKET / INFORMATION / GIFT SHOP [WHERE APPLICABLE]
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.