Whatever the weather, take a journey back in time and enjoyable day of excitement and nostalgia at the award winning Swanage Railway.
Sit back and relax during a leisurely trip behind one of our historic steam locomotives.
The 12 mile Swanage Railway return trip takes you through the beautiful Purbeck countryside and includes stunning views of the iconic remains of William the Conqueror's Corfe Castle.
As you travel down to Swanage you can appreciate the rich history of the area, its abundant wildlife and fascinating geology as well as the influence the region had on famous authors such as Enid Blyton and Thomas Hardy.
Steam trains run most weekends throughout the year and daily from April to October.
In addition we run special galas and themed events.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Return||£11.50 per ticket|
|Child Return||£7.00 per ticket|
|Family Return (2 adults and 3 children or 1 adult and 4 children)||£32.00 per ticket|
|Under 3's travel free||Free|
Ticket prices vary according to journey and time of day - Visit: www.swanagerailway.co.uk.
"Freedom of the Line" are return tickets but also allow passengers to use them for multiple trips on the day of issue.
If you live within the Purbeck District Council area, you are entitled to 50% off all fares on regularly scheduled services with the Residents Discount Card. These exclude Santa Specials, Dining Trains and most Special Events.
If you are aged 60 or over, you are entitled to 25% off all fares on regularly scheduled services with the Swanage Railway Senior Saver Card. Exclusions are The Wessex Belle, Yellow Timetable trains during July and August and certain Special Events.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good448
- Cooksy6Trip Type:Friends getawayGood railwayMonday, 24th April 2017Good little railway with great staff and stations to get off and wander. For example Corfe which has a good NationalTrust teashop and shop. The Castle itself is worth a visit. Read full review
- Dee PDorchester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyTake the time to consider what you've got hours for.Monday, 24th April 2017We didn't give ourselves enough time, nor did I have loose change for the norden car park( £3.50) , which threw me a bit. But it was glorious today on a chilly spring day. We got on at Swanage and... Read full review
- Gary SBristol, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMr G SmithMonday, 24th April 2017We went from Corfe Castle to Swanage on the steam train 🚂. It is a little pricey but very enjoyable with great views . Read full review
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme (Bronze) 2013
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2013
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- South West Tourism Jurassic Coast Quality Business Scheme - 2012 2012
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dorset Tourism Award 2016 Gold 2016
Map & Directions
From The West:
The nearest major road is the A351.
Park at Norden Car Park off A351 just before Corfe Castle village.
From The East:
Catch the car ferry between Sandbanks and Studland then follow road signs for Swanage.
Public Transport Directions
By Train & Bus:
From The West:
The nearest mainline railway station is Wareham (on the London Waterloo to Weymouth line). Catch the number 40 bus from Wareham Railway Station to Corfe Castle East Street bus stop. It is then a short walk to Corfe Castle Railway Station.
From The East:
Catch the train to Bournemouth Railway Station then transfer to the number 50 bus to Swanage Bus/Railway Station. You can buy a combined train and bus ticket from any staffed South West Train station for this journey.
To plan your journey by public transport contact Traveline on 0871 200 2233 or visit their website: www.travelinesw.com to look up bus timetables.
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
- In countryside - Train travels between Norden and Swanage Town Centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Coach with easier wheelchair access and disabled toilets on some trains.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loops in booking officer, shop and buffets.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - at Norden Car Park
- Ramp/Level Access - from car parks, into the Guards Van and open access coach
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - only at Norden Car Park or Swanage seafront and some trains.
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- Parking (charge) - £3.20 per car for all day at Norden Car Park. £5 for coaches - 5 spaces available.
- On-Site café/restaurant - On train service plus Swanage Station buffet (open daily) and Norden Station buffet (open most operating days)
- Picnic Site - at Norden Car Park
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 50
- Min group size - 15
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Special group rates
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted
- Open all year
- Toilets - at Norden, Corfe Castle and Swanage stations
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - 15
|Open New Year|
|Opening 2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Please check our website for specific opening days and times.
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.