Highcliffe Castle is a magnificent Grade 1 Listed 1830s mansion built by Lord Stuart de Rothesay and is situated just four miles east of Christchurch. The cliff-top grounds, with wonderful views of the Dorset coastline and the Isle of Wight, provide access to the beach and to the Christchurch Coastal Path.
The Castle became derelict in the late 1960s following two fires and although it no longer has its rich interiors, the Castle now houses a Heritage Centre containing stateroom galleries, which provide the backdrop to an exciting programme of events and exhibitions. Entertainment highlights for 2015 include outdoor theatre (As You Like it, Midsummer Night’s Dream, Pride & Prejudice, Much Ado about Nothing and Treasure Island), children’s activities, vintage car shows, big band concerts, as well as indoor concerts and a variety of fairs. The galleries will also host an array of work by local artists that include pottery, textiles, woodwork and photography.
Finally, relax and enjoy a cream tea or some lunch in the Tea Rooms and stroll around the grounds and down to the beach or browse in the fascinating Gift Shop.
The castle is also licensed for civil ceremonies, receptions, banquets and events.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Accompanied child (U16)||Free|
|Adult admission charge||£3.45 per ticket|
|Entry and Guided Tour||£5.95 per ticket|
|Season Ticket Holders/HHA Members||£3.95 per ticket|
ENTRY to the grounds only is FREE.
There is PAY & DISPLAY car park on site (5 hour Maximum stay).
Behind the scenes tours every Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm, and Sunday at 11am. Booking recommended.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Christchurch Tourism Association 2014
Map & Directions
- Accept Children over 7
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.None
- In town/city centre - 10mins from Highcliffe village
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Grade 1 listed building, once the home of Lord Stuart de Rothesay.
- Outdoor Attraction - for events
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children - special events
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route - Wilts & Dorset bus X1 and X2 and Yellow bus 111 from the centre of Christchurch
- On site parking
- Parking (charge)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Tearooms. Contact (01425) 270924
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 03:00
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Visa accepted
- Available for wedding receptions
- Cater for groups
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Event Venue - see www.highcliffecastle.co.uk/events for all event listings
- Licenced for civil marriages - see www.highcliffecastle.co.uk/weddings for comprehensive information
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
|2017 Opening (1 Feb 2017 - 23 Dec 2017)|
* OPEN DAILY
1 Feb- 23 Dec and for special events in January
Sunday-Thursday 11am - 5pm (last admission 4.30pm)
Friday & Saturday 11am - 4.30pm (last admission 4pm)