The spectacular Jurassic Coast in Dorset and East Devon is England's first natural World Heritage Site. This unique stretch of coastline sits amongst the ranks of the Great Barrier Reef and the Grand Canyon as one of the wonders of the natural world - and it's right here on the Dorset coast!
The site was granted its status for its outstanding geology, which represents 185 million years of earth history in just 95 miles, covering from Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks at Studland Bay on the Dorset coast.
Come and take a 'walk through time' along Dorset's dramatic coastline and enjoy the stunning natural features, exceptional views and wide range of activities on offer. We’ve picked some of the highlights of the Jurassic Coast to help you get started – take a look at our Jewels of the Jurassic Coast itinerary.
With all that history embedded in the cliffs, you’ll not be surprised to know that this stretch of coastline is world famous for its fossils. Why not embark on one of our guided fossil hunting walks and see what you could discover?
For more information on the Jurassic Coast, visit http://www.jurassiccoast.com/
- The risk of landslides and rock falls has increased following servere weather and sea conditions accross Dorset. Residents and visitor to the county are encouraged to follow safety advice along the coastline as landslides and rock falls can occour quickley and without warning. Tides have also re-shaped and stripped beaches around the coast meaning it is easier to get cut off by the incoming tide. Walking along coast paths may also be muddy and slippery in places so people should keep to official routes and follow warning signs at all times. More information about landslides and rock falls can be found at www.dorsetforyou.com/410768.
- You can find more information on World Heritage Sites in South West England, including the Jurassic Coast, the City of Bath, Cornish Mining and Stonehenge and Avebury, as well as the North Devon Biosphere and English Riviera GeoPark UNESCO sites, by visiting http://www.worldheritagesouthwest.org.uk/.
- Along this stretch of coast, artists have long recognised the opportunities for linking the creative sector with the earth sciences - find out more about The Creative Coast project!
- Why not view our stunning video footage of the Dorset Coastline, truly amazing!
- Explore the Jurassic Coast by bus! The hop-on hop-off X53 service is a perfect way to visit one of the Jurassic Coast attractions, walk a section of the South West Coast Path or just sit back and marvel at the views from the top deck.