There has been a church in Wimborne since 705 AD when Queen Cuthburga founded her nunnery here. Each generation has left its mark and the Minster today has something to offer visitors of all ages. Apart from the fine Norman architecture, there is the famous astronomical clock with the quarterjack, a life-size soldier, on the side of the west tower who strikes the quarter hours on his bell.
The fascinating chained library has hardly changed since it was founded in 1686, the Library is open Monday to Friday 10.30am to 12.30pm and 2.00-4.00pm and Saturdays 10.30am to 12.30pm (Easter to end of October). There is a gift shop within the Minster.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Entrance is free but donations are welcome. Charges apply for guided tours.
Map & Directions
From A31, follow signs to Wimborne town centre. The Minster has a small car park for visitors otherwise there are public car parks nearby.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Poole (6 miles), Bournemouth (10 miles). Bus from bus station to Wimborne Minster.
- Groups Accepted - Only restrictions, Sunday morning services, Easter and Christmas, weddings and funerals.
- In town/city centre
- No Smoking Attraction
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Loop system throughout
- Guide Dogs Permitted - No restrictions, also hearing dogs.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 00:45
- Max group size - 9999
- Min group size - 5
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- French spoken
- German spoken
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Spanish printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
|Open New Year|
* Entry to the Minster is restricted when services are held, in January and February the Minster closes at 4pm.
Chained Library open Monday to Friday 10.30am to 12.30pm and 2.00pm to 4.00pm (closed 12.30pm to 2pm) and mornings only on Saturdays.