Welcome to the Itinerary Planner. Use this tool to build your own journey or choose from an exciting range of specially selected tours.
To build your own Itinerary, click to add an item to your Itinerary basket.
Public open season from 1st April 2021
Built by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594 and the stately home of the Digby family since 1617; a fascinating visit to the historic Sherborne Castle awaits you:
* Walk in the footsteps of SIR WALTER RALEIGH in the home he built more than 400 years ago
* Take a leisurely stroll around 42 acres of our beautiful ENGLISH LANDSCAPE GARDENS. Experience the peace and tranquility; marvel at the spectacular views
* Take lunch in our award winning Tea Room and then browse our Gift Shop for a souvenir of your visit
* Discover magnificent staterooms, a Tudor kitchen and the Family Museum in the Castle's cellars
* Uncover the Great Stories of Sherborne Castle telling the stories of key moments in history at the Castle
* Discover walks round the 50-acre lake to Garden features such as Raleigh's Seat, The Cascade and a new Fossil House
* Enjoy colour throughout the season in the Gardens from spectacular carpet arrays of spring bulbs, glorious herbaceous borders and the breathtaking colours of autumn reflected in the lake
* In the Family Museum you can see Raleigh’s Kitchen, fascinating family artefacts, Fossil & Archive displays. Our Sir Walter Raleigh display covers the great man's time here at the Castle while our ‘Capability’ Brown display drawn from the archives tells of his impact and legacy on the Gardens.
Combined with the Castle, the historic market town of Sherborne and its wonderful Abbey are close by for a memorable day out.
|2021 public open season from 1st April 2021 (1 April 2021)|
|Season (1 April 2021)|
* General Opening TextDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult/Senior - Gardens Only||£9.00 per ticket|
|Child under 15 years old||Free|
|English Heritage member||£7.50 per ticket|
|Historic House member||Free|
Children aged 0-15 years (maximum number of 4) are admitted for free. Season Tickets available on request.
Tickets are available at the gate and there is no need to book in advance.
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
Nearest major road is A30/A303. Castle situated on B3145, 0.5 miles east of Sherborne, follow brown signs from A30/A352.
Nearest station is Sherborne station. Turn right over railway crossing to T-junction. Turn left, castle is 500 yards away. London Waterloo to Exeter mainline service, trains operated by South West Trains. Local buses/bus services to Sherborne from neighbouring/regional towns.
*Temporarily closed*. Sherborne Museum is housed in what used to be the gatehouse and…
Picturesque 15th Century almshouse
Historic Abbey Church dating from Saxon times. Wealth of 15thC fan vaulting built of Ham…
*LATEST UPDATE* The Museum will be re-opening on 24th October. The Haynes International…
*LATEST UPDATE* Henley Hillbillies will be closed for 2020. Quad Biking (8yrs +) and…
Badger Watch Dorset has now re-opened - booking essential. From our hides, thrill at the…
Nostalgic trip through the World of radio and TV programmes guaranteed to bring memories…
Under the current government guidelines, the museum gardens is now open at the weekends…
Mapperton Gardens is now open for pre-booked ticket holders. You can book tickets in…
*LATEST UPDATE* The Museum closed for the 2020 season on Saturday 29 August. Sorry for…
*The museum will be closed for the 2020 season because of building work. They…
Tours are now available to book. Vineyard Cafe now open 7 days a week. Takeaway picnics…
Athelhampton House and Gardens is now open for pre-booked ticket entry. Their restaurant…
Thorncombe Woods (and its car park) remains open during November. Check their website to…
*LATEST UPDATE* The Museum has re-opened and is now open on Thursday and Saturday from…
*LATEST UPDATE* Online shop now open for delivery to your door. Hall & Woodhouse Brewery…
|Know Before You Go - Covid-19 information||Things To Do||Accommodation|
|Food & Drink||Ideas & Inspiration||Explore|
|What's On||Visitor Information||Home|
Copyright 2020 Visit Dorset. All Rights Reserved.